Don’t Try This At Home
One of my favorite authors won’t be doing very much writing for a while because he mangaged to burn down his office last week.
Fantasy writer David Eddings, 75, said he was using water to flush out the gas tank of his broken-down Excalibur sports car, when some fluid leaked. In a lapse of judgment he readily admitted, Eddings lit a piece of paper and threw into the puddle to test if it was still flammable. The answer came in an orange torrent.
Eddings said his intention to was to prevent a fire – he was afraid to leave a tank full of gasoline in a car that had gone kaput – but instead he did the opposite.
“One word comes to mind,” the renowned wordsmith said as he stood in a pajama shirt and slippers. “Dumb.”
Why doesn’t this stuff happen to Michael Crichton?
Apparently the car didn’t survive either. Sniff.